Cardi B has captured our hearts with her dauntless honesty about everything from business to politics and motherhood, but she’s still got some secrets. After rising to fame with her hit single “Bodak Yellow,” Bronx-born Cardi quickly became one of the most prolific and successful rappers around.
With her stint on Love & Hip Hop and an ever-fascinating Instagram presence, we have plenty of insight into Cardi’s life. In her 73 Questions video, we discovered more about her everyday experiences with her husband, fellow rapper Offset, and their daughter, Kulture. But if even that’s not enough for you, here are five more things you didn’t know about Cardi B.
- Her teenage nickname was “Bacardi,” which is how the Cardi B moniker was born (the nickname was given to her because her sister’s name is Hennessy Carolina). Cardi’s given name, though, is Belcalis Almanzar.
- Before her life of stardom, Cardi used to work at Amish Market in TriBeCa. After that grocery-store job, she began stripping—a part of her life that she revisited with a role in the 2019 hit film Hustlers. She said of her dancing in the movie, “Everybody thinks it’s so easy to do. No, it ain’t. You can’t do it at home.” Despite her expertise, she said she couldn’t “shine” in the film like she wanted to, because of recent surgeries. “I was like, ‘This is my moment to shine, and I can’t shine because I can’t climb!’” she told Entertainment Tonight.
- She doesn’t have a driver’s license—she’s a true New York girl in that way—but that hasn’t stopped her from rapping about, and buying, expensive cars. Cardi proved on Carpool Karaoke with James Corden that she definitely knows her stuff when it comes to automobiles, noting that she currently owns five cars. When Corden asked why she has cars if she doesn’t have a license, Cardi replied: “To take pictures with.” Anything for the ’gram!
- While Cardi was considered Love & Hip Hop’s breakout star (she appeared on the VH1 show in 2016), she didn’t end up finding love on air. In 2017, Cardi and Offset started dating, and they married in a secret ceremony in their bedroom that same year. Their daughter, Kulture Kiari Cephus, was born in 2018.
- Now, thanks to her no-holds-barred Instagram account, Cardi is a bona fide social media phenomenon. But there’s another platform that originally helped her share her wisdom with fans. In 2015, Cardi posted a Vine of herself in a curve-hugging outfit, announcing, “It’s cold outside, but I’m still looking like a thotty, because a hoe never gets cold.” Who could argue with that?